People are still going to the DSWD central office in the hope of getting educational assistance │ GMA News Online

Some people still went to the central office of the Department of Social Welfare and Development in Quezon City on Saturday in the hope of receiving educational assistance as walk-in applicants, despite the DSWD’s prior announcement. that the application is already closed.

A line of hopeful beneficiaries was seen outside DSWD’s central office on Saturday morning, some of them arriving even before dawn, according to a report by Luisito Santos on Dobol B TV.

A few of those queuing said it was their second time queuing. They said they could not apply online for the education aid, so they went to the DSWD central office to personally submit their application on Saturday.

However, several posters have been put up near the entrance to inform the public that the DSWD is no longer processing applications.

“DSWD Central Office will not be providing education assistance from September 10-17-24, 2022,” the poster read.

Security guards have also repeatedly advised people in line to just go home as they will not be allowed to enter the DSWD central office and there would be no education assistance payment here. .

However, people were still queuing from 7:30.

The situation, however, was calm compared to past Saturdays.

According to DSWD Assistant Secretary and Spokesman Rommel Lopez, 113,942 people are targeted to receive educational assistance on the fifth Saturday of the payout, September 17, at local government sites.

The DSWD began providing education aid on August 20, with crowds flocking to its offices.

DSWD Secretary Erwin Tulfo earlier announced that the agency would distribute financial aid to needy students every Saturday until September 24.

Tulfo said the DSWD will distribute P1,000 for elementary school students, P2,000 for high school students, P3,000 for high school students, and P4,000 for college students or vocational courses.

He said there can be three beneficiaries per family.

Those who wish to benefit from the aid need only bring the registration certificate and their school identity card.

Tulfo said parents of elementary and middle school students could get help without bringing their children, while high school and college students could get the money themselves.

After the chaotic situation at the DSWD offices on the first Saturday of the installment, the department said it would no longer accept walk-ins when distributing financial aid to indigent students to avoid crowding on payout sites. Candidates were then invited to apply online.

The online application was however closed earlier this month due to the high volume of applications against limited available funds.

Tulfo said more than two million people have signed up for the education assistance program online.

The program has a budget of 1.5 billion pesos. —KG, GMA News

Back To Top